Domestic Violence Intervention Program
Position: Director of Community Engagement
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Summary: The Domestic Violence Intervention Program offers a comprehensive range of services including crisis intervention, safe shelter, counseling, advocacy, and support to meet the needs of victims and their families. The Director of Community Engagement, supervised by the Executive Director, is a fundraising position and responsible for advancing the mission and programs of DVIP through the creative engagement of community partners and individuals in supporting victims of domestic violence. The Director of Community Engagement supervises the Volunteer Coordinator. This position includes some direct services.
Certified Domestic Abuse Advocate: certification required after appointment to position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of domestic violence and systems advocacy.
- Experience in fundraising, asset development and community engagement.
- AA degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in relevant area – fundraising, marketing or public engagement.
- Understanding of issues of cultural and socioeconomic diversity as applied to domestic violence intervention services.
- A working knowledge of basic office functions, including word processing and email.
- Public speaking skill and ability to provide training within scope of employment.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Valid driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass an Iowa background, Child Abuse and Sex Offender Registry check.
- Physically able to lift up to 50lbs.
- Experience in peer advocacy and crisis intervention work.
- BA degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Marketing and Social Media Campaign experience.
- Systems knowledge and understanding of civil and criminal law practice related to domestic violence, particularly protection orders, immigration, and divorce.
- Knowledge of management of volunteer resources.
- Knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteerism.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible to fulfill the overall mission of the Domestic Violence Intervention Program in the provision of services to program participants.
- Supervise, train, evaluate and support the Volunteer Coordinator and DVIP Volunteer Program.
- Develop and implement an annual community engagement and fundraising plan.
- Research and develop relationships with prospective community partners and donors, with the purpose of developing resources for victims and fundraising for services.
- Create a strong fundraising message that appeals to community partners and donors; lead staff and the Board of Directors in applying message to community engagement and fundraising.
- Organize community engagement and fundraising events.
- Maintain records of donor information for future use.
- Evaluate the success of previous fundraising events.
- Train volunteers, staff and board members in fundraising procedures and practices.
- Ensure that all legal reporting requirements are satisfied.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteerism
- Maintain knowledge of the management of volunteer resources
- Develop collaborations with other communities and community based organizations, acting as a liaison to organizations; this will include finding new and creative ways to engage their markets and communities for volunteers, community outreach and fundraising events / opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with other regional victim service providers in order to best meet the needs of survivors in program region, and provide appropriate support and follow-up services.
- Assist with outbound marketing material, such as Facebook posts and website information with updates for proactive volunteer recruitment, community education, fundraising opportunities, and event planning.
- Some travel required, with daytime, weekend and evening work.
- Other duties as assigned.
Letters of interest and resume’s are being accepted between April 7, 2017 – April 21, 2017. Please forward your letter and resume to:
1105 S. Gilbert Court Suite 300
Iowa City, Iowa 52240